Monday, July 4, 2011

Things I like about America

A huge group of my friends are in Lexington for the Fourth of July this weekend, and a part of me does wish I were there. Between camp and Lexington, I haven't spent a Fourth of July outside of those mountains since I was fourteen. That's a long time. At camp, we always have lunch under the apple tree and a big carnival in the afternoon. I always signed up to man the slip & slide on the Cottage lawn because it was the best part. We had a giant plastic tarp that we'd coat with soapy water and the girls would slide down the hill. Messy, dangerous and so much fun. This was usually the day that the JCs would "get their purple back" and be able to rock their sweet purple beanies. My year, we got our purple back during the evening activity movie--we were so worried we weren't going to get it, because it always happened during the carnival. At night, after the movie, the Green Team boys would set off fireworks from the barge on the river.
My favorite memory of the Fourth of July 2007: JC initiation!
That's me hugging my JC 'big sis,' my wonderful cousin Mary.
Last year, instead of going to camp I worked as an ESL tutor with Refugee & Immigrant Services in Richmond for my Shepherd poverty internship. Allison and I drove over to Lexington on Friday and there was a barbecue at the Kremlin and we went to the VMI parade grounds to watch fireworks and it was just lovely. Plus, if anyone who was there last year is reading this, remember all the dessert?
Part of the potluck buffet
When I was going through pictures, I found so many that I really loved and I realized my W&L friends have not gotten all the credit they deserve on this blog. It is not their fault they did not come to France with me. So here they are! But I couldn't find a cute one with my big, Allison, so just know that I love her a lot.
Former residents of Pi Beta Phi room 309:
Eleanor, me, Anna and Fowler
EW, Steven, me, Kyle, Paul and Danielle
Erika, Anna, Danielle and me at the fireworks
Yay friends! So eat burgers and pasta salad and chips and cookies for me, America, because I love you and because statistics show you're very good at eating. And don't worry. Even though we think French people hate Americans, I don't think they actually do. They seem to like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment